Setting the bar…low

The barbell, that is.

A few years back when I was still at JMU, I had a brief love affair with lifting weights. 85% of the reason I started lifting was so that I could hang out in the weight room where all the cute guys were. The other 15% of that equation was that I actually sort of enjoyed lifting weights. I did this fairly regularly for about a year until, of course, I inevitably graduated and lost my amazing free gym.

So, thus, my love affair with weight lifting came to an abrupt end. Until today that is.

If you know me at all, you know I cave into peer pressure pretty easily. So, on this cold, rainy, morning (okay, fine, it was noon) as I was laying in bed, in my PJ’s, wondering if I should watch Free Willy or Rocko’s Modern Life on Netflix, when I got a phone call from my friend Colin. The conversation went something like this:

Colin: CAITSTRIDES [yes, he calls me this]! What are you doing?
Me: I’m just chillin’, what’s up?
Colin: Stop chillin’. We’re going to the gym to lift weights.
Me: No.
Colin: Caitstrides, get out of bed. We need get ripped at the gym. I need to do jump rope and you said you wanted to start lifting weights again.
Me: No, I don’t want to.
Colin: Caitlin, listen, I didn’t want it to come to this, but…someone’s life is depending on whether or not you go to the gym right NOW.
Me: No.
Colin: Cool, I’ll be up in 10 minutes.
Me: Fine.

While I was not happy with him at the time, I figured I’d probably be thanking him in an hour. And I was.

I forgot how much I LOVE to lift weights. It’s been over a year since I did any weight lifting and it’s pretty crazy how much strength I’ve lost in my arms. I had to decrease the weights from 40 lbs to 25. By the end of the workout I couldn’t even do 15 lb tricep curls. OUCH! How did I used to do this?

Anyway, I’ve decided that I’m going to start incorporating weight lifting into my regular routine again, especially since my apartment complex has a free gym that I really should start to utilize more. There are so many benefits, especially for runners. I need to start building strength again now that I know I have that whole endurance thing down. I’m aiming for 3 times a week, now I just need to find a legit weight lifting routine so that I’m not just doing random weights. I need to be working towards a goal.

After a solid hour’s workout, we headed back home (feeling great) and had a delicious Sunday morning breakfast.

On the docket for the rest of the day: Mad Men marathon! I’ve been wanting to start watching this series for awhile. Today is the day!

And fun dip! I heard sugar is really good for muscle recovery. Okay, not really. But, whatever!

Oh! New development: I can’t lift my arms up over my head. Soreness, you slay me!

What weight lifting routines do you use? What do you like/not like about it? I’m looking for a good one to start! Please share.

Advertisements
Previous Post
Leave a comment

2 Comments

  1. McLovin

     /  April 22, 2012

    This is an awesome routine to become a badass.
    http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89

    There’s info on form for the lifts on that site, or check out Starting Strength for an in depth breakdown of how to do the lifts.

    Reply
  2. I use the New Rules of Lifting for Women book, which includes a 6 month program and definitely recommend it!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: